Friday, March 26, 2010

One Week To Go...


I have so much blogging material floating around in my head, I can't keep it all straight. Things have been busy, busy, busy around The Homestead.

First, and foremost, and most importantly, I am quitting my job. Or rather, I already have, but my last day is next Friday. That's right, folks, one week to go.

It's very difficult for me to write about this, because, well, I really do love my job. In theory. But in reality, in execution, I hate it. My boss has worn my thin and I am about to my breaking point. And I don't want a job to break me, so I'm moving on.

I was offered a full-time position at the animal hospital I work (as a vet tech) and have decided to pursue that route. I've have been "teching" for 5 years, on and off, and the more time I spend away from it, or the less time I spend actually doing it, the more I miss it. The more I realize how much I LOVE it. That's it, I love teching.

I also recently learned that I can apply to take my Registered Veterinary Technicians licensing test, without having to go back to school. Since I have a bachelor's degree in Animal Science, Pre-Vet (my original plan was to go to Vet School) and I have loads of hours experience actually teching, all I have to do is turn in my application, get approved, and pass the test. IF all that pans out, and I do pass, I will be a RVT, basically a registered nurse for animals. I never, ever considered going the tech route because they don't make a whole lot for how hard they work, but if you love it, that's all that matters. This I have figured out.

So, starting April 5, I will have a different full-time job, and will be taking a significant pay cut. Which sucks, but its not the end of the world. We may not be able to put as much money into savings each month, and we may not be able to work on the house anymore, but the bills will still get paid. The upside is, if I do get licensed, I will get a significant pay increase, which will put me almost back to where I am now, and I will actually be enjoying my job!

The impending pay cut brings me to our in-progress yard project. Before our extra money runs out, Cowboy H wants to overhaul the yard. So, last weekend we started. We haven't finished yet, but hey, its a work in progress. I have taken lots of photos, I have fallen on my butt, and I have killed my lawn. You will be updated as soon as possible.

Another thing buzzing around in my head is my Photography Class. Our assignment for this week (given out last week) was to take Self-Portraits. But not any old self-portraits; these were self-portraits of WHAT WE ARE NOT. My fabulous friend Choleesa who has her own crazy world, upon hearing the assignment, turned to me and said, "Well, if there's one thing I'm NOT, its a cowgirl". So, last weekend we made her a cowgirl. And My Maria modeled along with her.

Since we are still in the film half of this class, I don't have immediate images of our little "photo shoot" but we did develop our film last night and ohmygoshtheyrockoutofthisworld!!!! Since they are Choleesa's photos (I just directed the shoot and took them) you will have to go to her world to check them out, once we get them developed, but DON'T MISS THEM. The butt shots are exceptional. And Maria looks pretty good, too. My self-portraits were not as exciting, but fun anyways. I was a "professional career woman", you know, pant suit, black pumps and briefcase. When we get them printed, I'll give you a peek.

Okay, I think that's enough words and not enough photos, but I haven't had time. I've taken them, just not processed and uploaded them yet. I promise they will be coming. Please don't stop loving me over this one long-winded post.

Oh, and lastly, the dogs dug their way out of their run last night. These two, I swear. The funny thing is once they got out, they couldn't get back in, so they were without food and water for who knows how long. Serves the little suckers right. All I can say is at least we're tearing out the backyard right now anyway! I guess they were just doing their fair share of the manual labor.

Yeah, that's it. They're such good little doggies they were just trying to help!

See ya on the other side (if you're still around)!

14 comments:

  1. You won't lose this follower -- long post (that is OK you finally got the words to come out -- congrats on the job change) I find it funny when some things come to the surface (on the blogs i follow) and I find out what I have in common with others..... 1) We love animals -look at our blogs! 2) many yrs ago I started college for vet tech and only lasted one college quarter.... I didn't want to go to the "Big City" to fulfill my dream and jobs were scarce! Country Girl :) Best wishes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just briefly visited the "crazy world" -- I'll be stopping back when I have more time....will be inspired to write more of my feelings? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the job change!! It is always hard to do this, but following your heart and doing something you love is so rewarding and exciting.
    Love the idea of a photography class, and the fun photo shoot ideas. Can't wait to see your results, especially Choleesa as a cowgirl! I bet you did a great job. Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the new job! I love to see people really pursueing their dreams! I checked out Cloweesa's blog....what a crack up! You two must have some fun together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW lots of change for you!! Congrats on the new job! And good luck on the exam! Can't wait to hear how it all pans out for you! One thing is for sure money does NOT buy happiness! So you do what makes you happy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My SIL is a DVM. She graduated from Purdue
    many years ago. And owns a successful vet clinic.

    Best Wishes to you.

    Pamela
    OHIO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the job change! It isn't all about the money, which I found out in the last 6 months. When I found out that my last company was going out of business, I knew that my next job would be working with animals and that I would have to take a huge pay cut.
    Happiness is what it is all about! Good for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on your new job and also for having the courage to make that step! You know what they say about those who dare to succeed!

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope this new job turns out to be everything you want! It sounds like you will be much happier there. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Being able to do a job you love it well worth it. Good luck with your test.

    ReplyDelete
  11. really??? I was hoping this was all a dream, and we would have a good laugh about the nightmare I had, you know....the one where YOU LEAVE ME?@!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome! The job change sounds like a fun new beginning. I worked as a Vet Tech for about 2 years before I got married (20 yrs ago. lol!) It was a lot of hard work, though, and not much money, so I ended up with burn out. I did enjoy the work because it was different every day and very challenging. And I learned a lot.
    I'm happy for you and I hope you do well with your new job. Keep us updated, k?

    Sounds like you're having a great time with the photography class and really learning a lot. I can't wait to see some of your pics. Yay!

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Howdy y'all! It makes The Homestead a warm and fuzzy place when you stop by; each and every word is read with great appreciation. Thanks for visiting!